Birthyourway

Welcome to Birthyourway's Blog. This space is intended to serve as an interactive site for Doula related stuff based in Ottawa and around the globe. The archive links on the right hand margin will help you identify topics of interest to you. Your pictures of real pregnant bodies- stretch marks and all- would be most appreciated as contributions. Share your birth stories, concerns and comments by submitting to birthyourway@gmail.com

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Cyborg cesarean rate increase

I was recently interviewed by this student and invite you to consider answering some of her questions.


Hello! My name is Emily and I'm a fourth-year anthropology student working on my honours paper. I'm interested in looking at changing perceptions of the female body and how those perceptions have influenced birth and delivery, most specifically looking at the links between the concept of the female body as a cyborg or as a machine, and how that correlates to rising caesarean rates. I'm looking for more insights on this from people who work with birth. I'm looking for answers to the following sorts of questions:

Have you noticed a change in the type of woman (eg. age, class background, ethnicity, medical or health conditions, etc.) who delivers by caesarean since you began practicing? Please explain.

What do you see as being the reasons for a rise or decline or no change in caesarean births?

What do you see as the benefits/drawbacks to caesarean birth?

Do you think that the change in childbirth practices affects women on a socio-cultural level?

Do you think that the change in childbirth trends affects society at large?

Do you think that societal changes have affected childbirth practices? How so?

Also, I'm interested in looking at power relations within the emerging childbirth model (of rising ceasarean births) and of resistance to this model. Any feedback would be great!

Thank you.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:17 p.m., Blogger Birthyourway said…

    Please feel free to leave your comments/answers to any of these questions. I can post them on the blog or forward them to Emily.

     
  • At 6:11 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    HI my name's monica I live in Australia and I am a Phd student researching caesarean birth. I too am interested in women's embodied subjectivity, thier sense of their bodies as machines and the correlation with rising caesarean rates. I havnt done any interviews with women yet- I just started my Phd this year, but I plan to. I would love to get in contact with Emily - please pass on this message- my email address is m.campo@latrobe.edu.au

     

Post a Comment

<< Home