Birthyourway

Welcome to Birthyourway's Blog. This space is intended to serve as an interactive site for Doula related stuff based in Ottawa and around the globe. The archive links on the right hand margin will help you identify topics of interest to you. Your pictures of real pregnant bodies- stretch marks and all- would be most appreciated as contributions. Share your birth stories, concerns and comments by submitting to birthyourway@gmail.com

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Due Dates: Not an Effective Means of Date Control

April was supposed to be a very busy month...This morning at 6:30 I got a call from EDD april14 -water broke in a trickle. Maybe it is pee? 11:30 call comes in contractions are suddenly every 5 minutes for an hour. She's headed for triage now and I won't be far behind her. Just waiting to see if I should meet her at home or hospital. Something about friday babies. I know most babies are born on the weekend, partly 'cause weekends last longer than midweeks, but also I think because weekends are more relaxing, you let your guard down and there is more support available. Just a theory. In any case, I also had EDD on the 28 and 29 of march. Both babies were born on the 17 and 24 respectively. 12, 5 and now15 days early. Oh and that thing about first time babies comming 10 days late....not this month!
I'll be posting some more substantial entries just as soon as I can get some time. In the meanwhile, I am now accepting april babies again!

5 Comments:

  • At 5:26 p.m., Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said…

    Inquiring minds want to know...how you and your client are!

    Hh

     
  • At 6:08 p.m., Blogger Birthyourway said…

    Collectively, they are all doing very well. There was one induction plus epidural and two completely natural births, all in hospital and all with obstetricians, 3 husbands present and supportive to varying degrees. Weights were 6pds 10oz, 7pds 13oz, 9pds 4 oz in no particular order. Apgars at 5 minutes all 9. Shortest active labour was 3 1/2 hours, 5 hours and
    7 1/2 hours. 1 meconium, 1 tear with stitching. Pushing lasted 42, 50 minutes and one baby born of with no pushing Except for 2 pushes for the head. All breastfeeding. All beautifull babes with powerful mama's!

     
  • At 11:52 a.m., Blogger Birthyourway said…

    Just to add to all the fun...I got a call last night at 10pm from EDD May 5, she's in early labour contractions every 15 minutes and dilated 3 cm, a full month ahead of schedule!!?!! Well, this is precisely why I consider myself to be on call at all times. This whole on call 2 weeks before and after the EDD just would have failed miserably for me this month!

     
  • At 12:58 a.m., Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said…

    You have been SO busy...isn't it FUN?!

    :) Hh

     
  • At 10:37 a.m., Blogger Birthyourway said…

    Yeah it's been great! Lot's of sweet babies to visit, birth memories to share. I love this work. Every time I am at a birth, it really is like a new day, a fresh start to life. I feel reborn each time and I love it!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home